Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Graveyard Book

The original post is from April 2009. I'm also adding Teresa Frohock's original comments. Teresa has a book coming out soon!

I got Neil Gaiman's book for Christmas -- before it won the Newbery Medal, thank you. I think it's excellent and I highly recommend it. It also starts with one of the best first lines I've read in a very long time. "There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife." Wow.

I defy an English reading human to taste that sentence and not take another sip. What's more, it succeeds so well with simple words and construction. The hand does not tremble, the darkness isn't malevolent nor all-pervading, and the knife is just a knife. Of course the Dave McKean illustration complements the words very nicely, but even completely on its own, that sentence *requires* you to turn the page.

It's a nice lesson for a writer, one I'll try to remember. It reminds me of the six-word Hemingway story:

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

Sigh


Teresa said:

Here's one of my favorites, from an author I don't normally enjoy (can you believe it) Clive Barker from The Thief of Always:
"The great gray beast February had eaten Harvey Swick alive."

I just love the rhythm of that sentence, even when you say it out loud, it jumps and pops and makes you want to know what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment