Friday, July 15, 2011

We Were Feegles Once ... And Blue

NADWCON 2011 adventures continue. Alex and I participated in the Maskerade Saturday night and had a fantastically good time. Even waiting backstage to go on was fun, right up to the moment when we stepped close to the curtain and a bit of stage fright crept in. After all, this was our first ever costume contest. (Alex's first con of any kind for that matter.) Still, nothing debilitating grabbed hold and on we went!

Our premise was an older Feegle advising a youngster going out on his first expeditiashun, uh, expellimation -- first rrrrraid.  I honestly paid little attention to the crowd reaction except for purposes of timing. We were told, however, that it was well-received. Must have been, I guess, because we were awarded one of the special awards -- Best Use of a Brogue. :-)

It was very strange posing for pictures afterwards at the photo call, but we mugged shamelessly. Then I stood stunned as Terry Pratchett walked up to us. He said something in either a) actual Gaelic, or b) a heavy brogue with words I either couldn't quite hear or understand. Regardless, my enormously lame response included saying something along the lines of, "Oh my gosh, you're doing it for real." <fail>

Still, I thought that was going to be the highlight of our con. Then Sunday happened (Kids Kaffee Klatch) and proved me wrong.

Wow. What a fabulous time!

Thanks to all the really cool and fun people we met (Hi Two-Flower! -- Mike), and especially to my wife Ellen for everything (including much work on the costumes) and daughter Jamie for putting up with her geeky dad and brother.

Spencer

The following were all just in our hotel room. If anyone has pictures from the stage, and especially video of the whole Maskerade, I'd really appreciate seeing them. We didn't get to see any of the acts before us.



No comments:

Post a Comment